Friday, September 29, 2017

Black History Month & PRIME MINISTER THERESA MAY

Join the 'Black in Coventry & Warwickshire' facebook group at
https://www.facebook.com/groups/119073618108483/

Black History Month, October 2017

MESSAGE FROM PRIME MINISTER THERESA MAY

I am proud to support BHM & I want to pay tribute to everyone who, over the last 30 years, has helped to support this opportunity to celebrate the extraordinary contribution that our African & African Caribbean communities make to our UK.

Today, in every walk of life, from business to politics, sport to culture, there are African & African Caribbean men & women whose achievements are not just making our country a better place but inspiring others to follow in their footsteps to even greater success.

So as we mark the 30th anniversary of Black History Month, it is right to look back with pride on the progress that has been made in taking on racism & discrimination. But I am also clear just how far we have to go, not just in rooting out hatred & prejudice from our society, but in tackling injustices that still hold back too many people in our country today.

That is why this BHM I am publishing the first results of the work which I commissioned within months of becoming PM – an unprecedented audit of public services to reveal racial disparities right across government. It exposes some uncomfortable truths about the injustices that still exist in our society today – from health & education to the welfare & criminal justice systems.

As PM I make no apology for exposing these truths. I believe it is my duty to shine a light on these injustices & I want to lead a national effort to address them so that Britain can truly become a country that works for everyone. That is my pledge this BHM & I hope you will work with me to make it a reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment