Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Early Black Presences: A Talk to the Kenilworth History Group

Having come across the group at a history fair in September I'd asked them if they'd ever come across material relating to black presences in the area. They said no but suggested that I came to tell them what I knew of such presences.
I was booked to talk to the group in July.

July seemed such a long way away in September but it soon came round. And what material had I got in place?

Prior to the talk I'd always archived material geographically. As I prepared for the talk it occured to me that thematic links were preferable to geographical ones because they allowed for more illustrative parallels.

I began to resort the information under the new headings but - because of my teaching commitments - couldn't devote the required amount of time to it. Consequently I would have to arrive at the venue with incomplete information. The headings were in place but the images had not been fully installed. Should I cancel?

I decided not to cancel. I could talk over the blanks and, after all, I did have enough material to cover 45 mins. But it would be a largely unknown group. Would they be interested?

I arrived. I set up. Everyone seemed friendly enough. The atmosphere was welcoming. And lo and behold I did recognise several faces from the world of teaching and from the Coventry History group to which I belong. A friend and her partner had also come along for moral support (and an interest in black British history!).

I delivered the talk and responded to questions. They were good questions. The material had been listened to and studied. There was interest. I received some very constructive feedback.

I dashed home excited about getting the rest of the material completed and incorporating the feedback.

I can't wait till my next presentation.

No comments:

Post a Comment