Friday, September 24, 2010

Black History Month: Help or Hindrance?

Josie D'Arby's BBC Radio 4 programme this monting at 11am considered the introduction of Black History Month into British schools and asks whether it has been a help or hindrance to the way children understand the past and to how black people relate to the way history is taught in our classrooms.

Is anything really better than nothing?
Imagine year after year of African drumming, the African slave trade, Mary Seacole, MLK and Muhammed Ali. It would drive me mad if I was a student. It would drive me mad if I was a parent whose child had to endure this each year. It drives me mad as a teacher.

There's so much more that can be done - but laziness - or a lack of time and resources - has much to a answer for.

BHM is all well and good if properly contextualised, but without such context I fear that the endlessly trotted out BHM content is turning both black and white students off Black history.

No comments:

Post a Comment